Teen’s nude body found
By RALPH BANWARIE Monday, July 9 2012
click on pic to zoom in
REMOVED: Undertakers remove the body of an unidentified girl, believed to be about 17, who was found dead on a bed in the living quarters of a busines...
THE SON of a well-known businessman from East Trinidad has been detained in connection with the murder of a young girl, whose nude body was found yesterday morning on a bed in a room of the building which houses the business — a pet and garden store.
Eastern Division detectives were last night appealing to members of the public to assist them in identifying the body of the victim, who is believed to be about 17 years old and of East Indian descent.
According to a police report, at about 6.30 am, police received an anonymous telephone call that a body was at a room of a building at Andre Street, Sangre Grande. When officers arrived, the victim’s body was found on a bed with a towel wrapped around her head. She was also covered with a white bed sheet. Police said there were several wounds to her head and neck.
A party of officers led by Supt Hendron Moses and including Insp Lawrence, Sgt Polisher, Cpl De La Rosa, WPC Stephen and PCs David Kaseeb, Damien Hanooman, Reshan Baran, Ryan Payne, Joshua Roberts, Ryan Sookdeo, Alexander, Snaggs and Persad visited the scene.
The area around the building was cordoned off while Crime Scene Investigators searched for clues. Vendors and shoppers at the nearby Sangre Grande market crowded the street and looked on as the DMO arrived to view the body.
Police sources said the fact that she was found completely naked suggested to investigators that she was engaged in some form of sexual activity when she was killed. The body is now at the Forensic Science Centre, St James where once formal identification is made, an autopsy will be performed to ascertain cause of death.
The son of a prominent businessman, Newsday was told, later surrendered to the Sangre Grande police and up to press time, was still being detained in connection with the incident.
The businessman, who was at the scene yesterday, in a brief interview with Newsday said that the last time he spoke with his son, who lives at the premises of the businessplace, was on Saturday at 8 pm.
“I called to find out if everything was ok and he told me yes and then hung up the phone. When I came to open my business place this morning, I saw caution tape around the building and police everywhere. I knew something was wrong but I did not have the slightest idea that a murder had taken place on my premises,” the businessman said.
“I employed my son as a watchman to look after the business place and I am still confused as to why this woman was in my building,” the businessman said.
The businessman’s son reportedly called other relatives saying that two men had entered the building where they attempted to rob him but he ran out. He is claiming that when he returned, he found the young girl dead.
Police are calling on the public to assist them in identifying the victim and are saying that anyone with information can call officers at 691-0133 or 668-2444.
Investigations are continuing. The murder toll for the year so far is 218.