Queen Street accident victim returns to work
Tuesday, August 6 2013
One month after being hit by a falling utility pole while driving along Queen Street, Port-of-Spain, Kathy-Anna Charles has returned to work.
Employed as a customer service representative at the National Entrepreneurship Development Company’s (NEDCO) Queen Street office, the young woman told Newsday “it’s been a struggle adjusting, but I’m coming along. I returned to work last week Monday (July 29),”
Charles has to wear a neck brace at work, and does her best to avoid bumping into others.
“One day last week I decided not to bother with the brace, and when a co-worker accidentally bumped my shoulder, I felt this sharp pain just shoot up my neck. Now I don’t leave home without it.” Aside from wearing a neck brace while active, Charles takes pain medication and muscle relaxants to treat the neck and shoulder injuries she sustained during the June 24 accident.
Several utility companies’ cables were pulled down, along with three utility poles that Monday afternoon when a cement truck got hooked on low-hanging cables as it turned left from Queen Street onto Chacon Street.
However each company has said their internal investigations indicated they were not at fault.
Similarly, Premix Concrete Limited has stated its truck was cleared to operate in PoS, and thus was not to blame.
As previously reported by Newsday, the “don’t blame us” response of each company prompted Charles to hire a lawyer to seek compensation for her physical injuries.
The 29-year-old woman has since submitted all of the requested documentation to her lawyer, but as of yesterday afternoon, she had not been able to confirm whether or not legal correspondence has been sent to the relevant companies.