COP RETURNS BABY TO MOM
By STACY MOORE Wednesday, August 7 2013
click on pic to zoom in
Father and son: PC Rosales Edwards holds his son Caleb at Newsday's office in San Fernando where he returned the baby to his mother Theresse Roy, afte...
AFTER Newsday’s front page report yesterday that he had been missing for 22 days, baby Caleb Edwards was safely returned to his mother, Theresse Roy, by his father, police constable Rosales Edwards.
Caleb, who is five months old today, was reunited with Roy, 31, at Newsday’s office, Carlton Centre, San Fernando, yesterday, following the intervention of social worker Valerie Mohammed Metievier.
Metievier, of the National Family Planning Services in Rio Claro, a unit of the Gender, Youth and Child Development Ministry, has been dealing with the case since Roy reported Edwards failed to return their baby to her after he took the child to visit his family on July 15.
Arrangements were made on two occasions for Edwards to give up the baby at Metievier’s office and the Rio Claro Police Station but he never showed up.
However, Edwards, 42, yesterday went to Newsday’s South office accompanied by Metievier who also contacted Roy to come for her baby.
Edwards and Roy did not speak to each other as he placed Caleb in his mother’s arms. His mother quickly hugged and kissed him.
“I am just happy he is back in my arms,” said a relieved Roy, who thanked Newsday for highlighting the story. She also thanked the social worker and the police.
“Thank you for all your help. I’m just glad to have my son back,” she said.
In his defence for keeping the baby for so long, Edwards maintained Roy had asked him to take Caleb to live with him.
“I love my son so much. I did not kidnap him, he was given to me by his mother,” Edwards said.
Edwards said he was shocked when he saw Newsday’s front page yesterday with his son’s photograph, next to the headline, “Where is this baby?”
“To read that I had kidnapped my own son is not true at all,” Edwards said.
He said he did take Caleb back to his mother’s home in Rio Claro after visiting relatives in east Trinidad on July 15, but claimed Roy told him she could no longer take care of the baby.
“She packed all his clothes, immunisation card, baby bottles, even his bath tub and all his other stuff in a bag and give it to me as well,” Edwards said. He said a few days after Roy called to find out how things were going. “We spoke for a good while on the phone and she prayed on the phone for Caleb too,” the father said.
Edwards said he and Roy had an arrangement where he would keep his son during the week while his mother would have custody of him for the weekends.
Edwards yesterday said he would now apply for full custody of his son.
Metievier met Edwards in Port-of-Spain yesterday morning and called Roy to alert her that Edwards would be meeting with her to hand over the baby boy.
“The baby has two parents and both should be allowed to play a part in his life,” said the social worker. She said she had advised Edwards that he could not keep the baby and the right procedure had to be followed by law. Counselling would be offered to the parents, Metievier said.
Roy again denied she ever gave custody of her baby to his father.
“I would never ever give up my child, never,” she said. “Why would I go through all this to have my baby and then give him up and say I can’t care for him, that is not true. I love my baby I would never give him up,” said Roy.
The mother has also filed for full parental custody of Caleb and a date has been set before a Rio Claro magistrate. Rio Claro police officers are expected to take a statement from the mother. Roy had also filed reports at the Chaguanas and San Fernando Police Stations.