Murder toll jumps to 234
By Newsday Staff Wednesday, August 14 2013
click on pic to zoom in
TRAFFICKING TOPIC: Minister of National Security, Emmanuel George, right, and the Director of Counter Trafficking Unit...
The murder toll has jumped to 234 following the killing of 23-year-old Akeem Baptiste in Laventille.
Police reported at about 6.45 pm on Monday, Baptiste was seen running along Building Four of the Apartment complex in John John. It was said that he was being followed by a man with a gun.
Baptiste tried to call for help, but he was eventually cornered by his assailant.
Residents heard an exchange of words, however, it was said that as they were concerned for their lives, they stayed indoors and notified the police.
After a few minutes, Baptiste was heard shouting out in pain, following which, several loud explosions were heard.
When the police arrived, they found Baptiste’s body lying in a pool of blood in the northern end of the building.
The area was immediately cordoned off, and a party of officers, including WP Sgt Bacchus, and other officers from the Besson Street Police, the Inter Agency Task Force, and the Homicide Bureau of Investigations visited the scene.
Crime Scene Investigators also recovered several spent shells and police believe the killing would have resulted from a high powered weapon. Police also described Baptiste’s killing as an “execution” noting that one of the deceased man’s legs had appeared to be broken as well.There were more reports of shooting incidents yesterday. Point Fortin police are investigating the shooting of Ijaree Quamina 21, of Chin Yuen Kee Trace in Cap de Ville, Point Fortin, at about 9.30 pm on Monday. Quamina was at home with two men who were known to him when gunshots rang out. Residents rushed him to the Point Fortin Area Hospital where he received medical treatment. Doctors later transferred him to the San Fernando General. He was later transferred to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, where he remained warded up to late yesterday. Police said a bullet is lodged in his spine.
Police investigators from the Point Fortin Police Station and the Cap-de-Ville Police post visited the scene. An arrest is yet to be made and investigations are continuing.
While, overall reports of serious crime are down, National Security Minister Emmanuel George is still not satisfied that enough has been done to curb crime. George hopes sustained policing measures will lead to his ultimate goal to stop crime.
“No. I am never satisfied and I am sure neither are you or members of the public. Not until crime is a thing of the past,” George told reporters yesterday, when asked about the results of renewed anti-crime plans.
“What has happened, and I hope will continue to happen, is that measures we have put in place will suppress the incidents of crime. This week, there has been a reduction, but whether or not it is a sustainable one, or if the initiatives are successful, well, that is left for the public to judge according to how they see the rise or fall of statistics, and if the criminal activities in their communities continue or stop,” George told reporters following the launch of the Human Trafficking Subject Matter Expert Exchange conference at the TT Police Service Barracks, St James. Between August 1 and August 4, 14 persons were killed in violent crimes throughout the country. Since then, the National Security Council met, and crime initiatives were re-launched in an attempt to combat the spike in the homicide rate.
This led to more police officers on patrol in all divisions, and a greater emphasis placed on surveillance. Police road block exercises were also increased, and over this past weekend, ten persons were held for driving under the influence of alcohol, while another 100 tickets were issued against motorists who were in breach of traffic regulations.