Several schools still closed
Tuesday, September 24 2013
CONDITIONS of the washrooms at St Therese RC Primary School in Rio Claro, have been condemned as unfit for human use by the Ministry of Health. Hence the reason for ongoing protests by parents of students attending that school.
Paul Bishop, a spokesperson for protesting parents, yesterday told Newsday, “this is not all as we have a situation where electrical wires are hooked up on chain link wires, we have no furniture, we have wooden floors installed on make-shift posts, the flooring is weak and after an assessment was done of the two- storey building, the team said the structure is too weak to take a concrete floor.”
Bishop said students of the school which was built 65 years ago, have for the past two years been forced to share space with students of the Rio Claro Presbyterian School. “No one knows when they will return to their school as they only now break down the school and started work, “ Bishop told Newsday.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Catholic Education Board of Management (CEBM) Sharon Mangroo yesterday said a team of officials from the Education Facilities Company Limited (EFCL) are to visit the school tomorrow.
“When the actual work will start, I am not sure,” Mangroo said, adding that requests for repairs to a number of schools had been submitted to the EFCL but, “not all were placed on the list,” for repair work during the August vacation.
“St Therese was one of the schools left out,” she stated.
Mangroo further stated, when work begins at the school it will be done on “evenings and weekends.”
The EFCL continues to do work at Rosary Boys’, Tunapuna, Diego Martin and St Pius RC schools even as the CEMB await the findings on an independent assessment of what needs to be done at these schools, Mangroo said.
“At Tunapuna, the EFCL has started some work,” she continued. “At Rosary Boys’, the EFCL did some work, but there was a problem again yesterday so the school had to be dismissed at lunch time.” two phases.
Yesterday, president of the Parent Teachers Association at the Marabella Government Primary School, Ericson Benjamin said there is a rat infestation at the school. “Since last year we have been appealing to the Ministry of Education for help, but to no avail,” Benjamin said. “Last week we kept the children home for one week hoping that some corrective measures would have been taken, but nothing was done.”
Students at Palo Secondary School were sent home early yesterday after raw sewage flooded classrooms. PTA spokesperson Majorie Figaro-Thomas said, “Work was done on the sewer pump in the past, but for some reason it seems not to be functioning properly.”
Because protest action saw students losing almost an entire term last year, Figaro-Thomas said the PTA has no intention of interrupting studies. “We are pleading with the authorities to work on this problem during the public holiday today so children can be out at school on Wednesday.
Education Ministry communications officer Yolanda Morales-Carvalho said she was unaware of any problem at the Marabella Primary School.
Rosary Boys’ RC School in Port-of-Spain opened yesterday for the first time since there was a small fire on its compound coming from a meter box. The school opened with low attendance and ended half day yesterday.