Dad charged for son’s murder
By NALINEE SEELAL Tuesday, December 3 2013
click on pic to zoom in
KILLED: Jacob Munroe, one...
DIRECTOR of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard yesterday gave instructions to police to lay a charge of murder against a 27-year-old Maracas/St Joseph man for the murder of his (the man) one-year-old son, Jacob Munroe.
The child’s tiny body, wrapped in a piece of cloth, was found inside a cesspit at the back of his home on November 20. It was reported to police that Jacob’s father was at home on November 19 when three men visited him and demanded he hand over a gun.
The father also claimed that the men then forced him to drink kerosene and slit his wrist. The police were also told that the men then grabbed baby Jacob and fled the scene. Police carried out extensive enquiries which led them to the back of baby Jacob’s home where they found his body inside the cesspit.
An autopsy revealed the child died from blunt force trauma and several of his organs had been crushed by a severe beating. The father was taken into custody on Friday after he was discharged from hospital and was interviewed over the weekend.
Yesterday, Homicide Investigations Bureau officers led by Assistant Commissioner of Police Wayne Dick and including PC Perreira approached DPP Gaspard and received instructions to charge Jacob’s father with murder. He is expected to appear before a Tunapuna magistrate today and will be represented by defence attorney Fareed Ali.
ACP Dick leading Keyana murder probe
Meanwhile, ACP Dick yesterday revealed he has personally taken charge of investigations into the rape and murder of six-year-old Keyana Cumberbatch whose body was found concealed in a cargo barrel at her Maloney home last Thursday.
“I have personally taken charge of the investigation and with the assistance of all the homicide officers we expect to bring closure to this investigation soon, several persons are being interviewed at this time and we expect to approach the director of public prosecutions shortly,” ACP Dick told Newsday.
He also revealed that a lot of misinformation is being fed to the public which he hopes to clear up after the DPP is approached. Newsday understands that a 20-year-old man who police believe is the main suspect in Keyana’s murder remains in custody.
That man was hospitalised for a short while after suffering an asthma attack. Newsday understands that homicide officers returned to the murder scene yesterday and interviewed relatives of the girl. Last week Tuesday, police found a blood stained kit belonging to Keyana inside the apartment and also discovered that there were attempts made to sanitise the bedroom in the apartment where Keyana’s body was found. Newsday also understands that several neighbours of Keyana have already given statements to the police which is proving to be very useful.