Jabari’s body remains at Forensic
Wednesday, December 4 2013
click on pic to zoom in
COPS AT WORK: This composite photo shows police officers engaged in a roadblock exercise yesterday in South Oropouche near Mosquito Creek. In the phot...
FOR A second night, the body of three-year-old Jabari Hernandez was not released to his relatives for final rites and instead remained last night at the Forensic Science Centre, in St James, as police continue their investigations into his death.
Police sources told Newsday the intention was for the body to be kept at the Centre until investigators have completed their inquiries into young Jabari’s death. Sources also confirmed that as of yesterday morning, police are officially treating Jabari’s death as a homicide and certain steps have already been taken in their investigations. Some of these steps, Newsday was informed, include interviewing young Jabari’s relatives and taking statements from persons who would have been the last to see the three-year-old boy alive. This process was expected to continue last night and into today.
Police sources told Newsday due to the sensitive stage of investigations, they were only willing to confirm that the cause of young Jabari’s death was “blunt force trauma” and this trauma was to his abdomen.
Sources said some of the injuries on the three-year-old boy’s body did not appear to be recent, thereby indicating Jabari would have sustained injuries over a period of time. It was also noted young Jabari appeared to have suffered some degree of malnourishment, which police sources emphasised yesterday they could not say if this was deliberate or as a result of the fall which relatives claimed to police, the child has suffered.
It was also noted, as of press time yesterday, no one was arrested or is in custody in relation to Jabari’s death. Young Jabari of Carmichael Village, Coryal, died on Saturday afternoon shortly after he was seen vomiting at his home.
At the time, it was believed the child may have died from injuries sustained in a fall he reportedly suffered at home a week prior to his death. However, preliminary results of an autopsy which was done on Monday at the Forensic Science Centre in St James, by Forensic Pathologist Dr Hughvon des Vignes, revealed the child died as a result of blunt force trauma inclusive of injuries to his abdomen.
Meanwhile, the funeral for six-year-old Keyana Cumberbatch — whose murder bruised the nation’s psyche — is expected to take place today at St Barbara’s Spiritual Shouter Baptist Church in Maloney.
Keyana, a pupil of the St Barbara’s Shouter Baptist Primary School, was found dead inside a shipping barrel last Thursday in the Maloney apartment where she lived with her mother Simone Williams. She had been reported missing three days earlier.
Williams’ last knowledge of the child was that she had left the apartment to visit a grandmother in a neighbouring building.
An autopsy done last Friday by pathologist Dr Valerie Alexandrov showed that Keyana had been fatally struck on the head with a blunt object, with enough force to crack her skull and she was raped after receiving the killer blow. A male friend of Keyana’s mother remains in custody assisting police with the investigation.