20oz, Pear-D recalled
BY DARCEL CHOY Friday, December 13 2013
click on pic to zoom in
Joromie Lewis, Royal Navy veteran, who died in the UK after consuming a 20 oz Pear-D contaminated with liquid cocaine....
SM Jaleel has voluntarily recalled its 20oz Pear-D from shelves after a Royal Navy veteran died in Southampton, Hampshire, in the United Kingdom, after consuming a bottle contaminated with liquid cocaine, last Thursday.
The victim, Joromie Lewis, according to The Guardian UK report, fell ill soon after drinking the juice and died in hospital within hours. Lewis was originally from St Vincent and the Grenadines.
In a press release on SM Jaleel’s website, the company said it was informed by the Hampshire Constabulary that during their investigations they found the bottle was tampered with, and contained fatal amounts of liquid cocaine.
The company said since it does not export Pear-D to the United Kingdom they assumed the drink entered through irregular and unauthorised means, and was therefore considered contraband. They said this was evidenced by the fact that the best before date on the bottle seemed to have been compromised. The label on the bottle of the contaminated drink, was also not in compliance with the UK label regulations, and could not have entered or passed through Customs in the UK, through its ports of entry.
However, as a precautionary measure, the company will recall any Pear-D product still in the market from the batch containing the code BB JAN 08 14.
The company said they were shocked and saddened to see its product “abused and used in such a sinister manner,” and they expressed condolences to Lewis’ family, and loved ones
In the Guardian UK article, Lewis’ wife, Jayrusha described him as a “selfless and devoted family man.” She said he was a devoted family-oriented man with a selfless attitude to help others, and always knew the right words and advice, to give.
The Hampshire Constabulary, according to the article, has appealed to anyone who finds a Pear-D drink not to open it, but to contact the Food Standards Agency and hand it in to authorities.
SM Jaleel said it has been and will continue to assist the Hampshire Constabulary with their investigations regarding the matter.