|Man chokes to death on roti |
By DARCEL CHOY Sunday, January 5 2014
click on pic to zoom in
Ramjattan "Boyie" Sinanan ...
A 52-year-old San Fernando man died on Friday after choking on a meal of roti, potato and curried chicken.
Ramjattan “Boyie” Sinanan was having a meal prepared by his sister at her home in Arouca at about 5 pm when he began choking.
One of Sinanan’s sisters, Vitra Rampersad said when she and other relatives realised what was happening, they tried hitting him on his back to dislodge the food caught in his throat and they also performed Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) to revive him but nothing worked.
She said she called 811 to get an ambulance but she kept getting a busy signal. She continued trying until she finally got through. The officials told her what to do, to try and revive him, while they waited on the arrival of an ambulance. Rampersad said she gave her sister the instructions she was receiving, which included hitting Sinanan on his chest but nothing worked. She said when the ambulance arrived 20 minutes later, the Emergency Medical Tech-
nicians (EMTs) checked his heart rate and found there was none and told the family, there was nothing they could do and advised they call the Arouca Police Station.
The police later arrived together with the District Medical Officer who pronounced him dead. Rampersad said, her brother, was mentally challenged.