Boy, 14, on attempted murder charge
Wednesday, January 22 2014
A 14-YEAR-OLD boy appeared before a San Fernando magistrate yesterday charged with attempted murder. The boy of San Fernando appeared before Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington.
The charge alleges that the teen, shot a man in the neck at Tarodale Gardens, Ste Madeleine on December 23. The charge was read to the boy, who together with his mother and father stood before Wellington.
The charge alleged on that day, the boy attempted to murder Christophe Grenville at Tarodale by shooting him in the neck.
Grenville was warded at San Fernando General Hospital where he stayed for several days. The boy was arrested last week.
Wellington was told by court prosecutor PC Cleyon Seedan, who is also legal adviser to the Court and Process Department at the San Fernando Police Station, that the accused has a pending case for robbery with violence. The teen, PC Seedan added, also has a pending matter for possession of marijuana.
Attorney Jason Jackson who represented the boy, told Wellington the accused boy suffers from a heart murmur and is dependent on drugs dispensed from the San Fernando General Hospital. He also attends hospital as an outpatient. The attorney pleaded with Wellington to grant bail adding that the alleged victim is in stable condition.
Yesterday, the youth was told by Wellington he would not be called upon to plead to the indictable charge. But Wellington was not so minded to grant bail, saying the alleged commission of the crime of attempted murder, was done while the accused was out on bail for other offences. The magistrate then refused bail and remanded the boy into the custody of the Youth Training Centre (YTC) to reappear in court on February 11.