Belmont man is murder victim No 45
Saturday, February 1 2014
click on pic to zoom in
SORROW: Vanessa Diaz, common-law wife of murder victim Dwayne Reuben, outside the Forensic Science Centre, St James. Reuben was shot dead near his Bel...
POLICE are investigating the murder of 30-year-old Dwayne Reuben, who was gunned down yesterday morning not far from his home in Belmont. Police reported at about 5 am, Reuben of Maryland Hill, Belmont, was at the home of his neighbour whom he promised to drop off at the airport.
While he was in the front yard of the neighbour’s home, the woman who was inside her home reportedly heard several loud explosions and on investigating, saw Reuben bleeding on the ground outside. He was dead.
The police were notified and a party of officers from the Inter-Agency Task Force, the Belmont Police Station, and the Homicide Bureau of Investigations visited the scene. Several spent shells were recovered as crime scene investigators combed the area.
A district medical officer visited the scene and ordered Reuben’s body removed to the Forensic Science Centre in St James, where an autopsy was performed later in the day by pathologist Dr Hughvon des Vignes.
At the Centre, Reuben’s relatives said they were in a state of shock over his death, as they did not understand why anyone would want him dead. “He wasn’t in any gang. He wasn’t a bad boy. Far from it. All he used to do was go to work, spend time with his daughter and spend time with me,” cried Reuben’s common-law wife Vanessa Diaz.
“Why did they kill him? Can you tell me why? This April would have made it three years that we were together. He was a hard working man. A loving man. An innocent man. He never used to give anybody trouble.
“The last time I saw him was last night, he came and checked me, we had pizza and spent time together and then he dropped me home and went up the road to play PS2 with his boys. He drop me home and that was it, a few hours later they call me and tell me he dead,” Diaz cried.
Investigations are continuing. Reuben’s death has officially pushed the murder toll to 45. Last year, for the corresponding period, the murder toll was 38. Reuben is also the fifth person to be killed in Belmont in the last four weeks.
The first person killed was Nicholas Kerr, 22, who was shot and killed on St Francois Valley Road, Belmont, on January 3. Sherwin Wint, 26, was shot while liming with a group of friends along Belmont Circular Road, on January 12. He eventually succumbed to his injuries later in the day at the Port-of-Spain General Hospital. On January 16, Clevon Manswell, 27, was shot and killed along Belmont Circular Road. Among the most tragic of reported cases was Aleah Cain, 15, who was shot and killed along the on January 21, last. Her funeral was yesterday afternoon. As a result of the deaths, police sources have told Newsday police patrols in the community have increased tenfold, as they aim at protecting all law abiding citizens.