It was murder
By NALINEE SEELAL Tuesday, February 4 2014
A DAY after telling relatives of a pregnant Sangre Grande student that her death was suicide, Forensic pathologist Dr Hughvon des Vignes performed a second autopsy last Saturday on 21-year-old Iemeeliah Goumel with his findings indicating that she was murdered.
Goumel was found dead in her apartment home at Shepherd Lane, Coalmine, Sangre Grande last week Thursday after her landlord and other tenants complained to police about a foul stench.
When police went to the apartment they found the semi-nude body of seven-month pregnant Goumel on the floor with the foetus nearby. The womanís wrist appeared to have been slit and there were marks of violence about her neck and back.
Police believe the woman may have been dead for about four days before she was found.
After the first autopsy, done by des Vignes, Goumelís relatives were told last Friday her death was ruled a suicide. While this was confirmed to Newsday by head of Homicide Bureau ACP Wayne Dick, he hastened to add that investigations were in no way closed.
Sources told Newsday, on Saturday, des Vignes accompanied by Homicide Bureau officers went to Allenís Funeral Home in Sangre Grande where he performed a second autopsy which determined cause of death as murder. None of Goumelís relatives were present at the second autopsy.
Yesterday, Goumelís mother Joyce Thomas told Newsday she had telephoned the Forensic Science Centre yesterday and was told des Vignes would be in office next week and she was unable to speak with him.
Thomas said on October 4, her daughter made a report to Sangre Grande Police Station about being severely beaten by a man, although she was about four months pregnant at the time. Thomas said her daughter confided to her about being beaten several times by a man and she (Thomas) was worried about the safety of her daughter and unborn grandchild.
ďI know who killed my daughter and I knew it was not a suicide from day one and although I am leaving it up to God, I still want justice and I am hoping the authorities act swiftly and bring the killer of my daughter and grandchild to justice,Ē Thomas said.
Dick yesterday confirmed that a second autopsy was carried out by des Vignes on Saturday. He said des Vignes contacted police to send a report to the Homicide Bureau. Dick said as at 3 pm yesterday he had not received a report from Des Vignes so he could not give further details on the outcome of the autopsy. He however stated that several persons were interviewed with none being detained thus far.