Kings, Queens go forth
Friday, February 28 2014
TODAY is “Big Friday”, when 20 competitors will seek the title of King and Queen of Carnival in a show to be put on tonight by the National Carnival Bands Association (NCBA).
According to the NCBA president David Lopez several guest performers are expected, including Bunji Garlin and Fay Ann Lyons-Alvarez and the Asylum Family band, Chutney Soca Monarch Ki Persad as well as the Alternative Quartet.
“I am going to insist that the show starts at 7 pm, and we hope for a three-hour show,” Lopez said. He said the show will be a production, entitled, “Mas World” and is being produced by Gerald Vieira Jnr.
Not only will ten senior Kings — including two pairs of brothers — and ten senior Queens vie for the title, but 20 junior Kings and Queens will cross the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain seeking the junior titles. The door opens at 6 pm, Lopez said.
This is the second year in a row when the Kings and Queens finals will be held in a show separate from the Dimarche Gras, which takes place on Carnival Sunday.
1. Quars Al Sahara ‘Desert Sting’ Wade Madray
2. Zanzikil - Lord of Chaos Curtis Eustace
3. Monkey Know What Tree To Climb Ted Eustace
4. Nagin Saphera- The Serpent Charmer Ravi Lakhan
5. De Tornado Ronald Blaize
6. After Earth Glenn Dave Lakhan
7. Madiba (The Heart of a Warrior) Zinool Mohammed
8. What Lies Beneath Fareid Carvalho
9. Scorpion King Earl Beckles
10. Poseidon Comin’ Clyde Bascombe
1. We Beat Pan Music Gloria Dallsingh
2. High Noon on the Comanchero
Sacred Grounds Raevon Atherton
3. Indeera (Mother of India) Denesha Jennings
4. Burrokeet Woman Kay Mason
5. African Drum Dancer Laura Rampersad
6. Warrior of Fire: Rise of the
Mystic Phoenix Alexandra Bailey
7. Zamara, Mirage of the Oasis Peola Marchan
8. The Unusual Beauty Cherry-Ann Patrice Valere
9. Refraction: A Phenomenon of Light Tamika George
10. Hera-Bonds of Unity Tracell Frederick