|Electrocuted men laid to rest |
By SEAN DOUGLAS and STACY MOORE Friday, April 4 2014
click on pic to zoom in
FUNERAL SERVICE: Ricardo Ramsundar, second from left, sits at the coffin of his brother Richard Ramsundar yesterday at the funeral service held at the...
TODAY and yesterday saw the funerals of the two victims of electrocution last Monday at El Socorro, family members told Newsday yesterday.
The two men were doing renovations on a building extension at Hosein Street, off Boundary Road, El Socorro, when their ladder accidentally touched high-voltage wires nearby, killing them, while another man survived the shock.
Richard Ramsundar, 36, was buried yesterday at Chaguanas Public Cemetery after a funeral service under Christian rites at his house of mourning at Clarke Road East, Charlieville. Joseph Goonieram, 26, will be buried today at the same cemetery after a 10 am funeral service at his house of mourning at 15 Trafalgar Drive, off Mulchan-Seuchan Road, Chaguanas.
Richard’s younger brother, Ricardo Ramsundar, survived the tragedy on Baptist Liberation Day. Even as relatives asked why the deceased were working so close to the deadly wires, the tragedy is being investigated by the TT Police Service, San Juan/Laventille Regional Corporation, and the Occupational Safety and Health Authority (OSHA) of the Ministry of Labour.
Richard was a hard worker and did construction work to provide for his family. Sadly it was in the midst of his work, that he lost his life.
Yesterday speaking at Richard’s funeral service held at his home located at East Clarke Road Reserve, Charlieville near Chaguanas, Reynold Roshan, his uncle said his nephew would be remembered as a humble hard working man.
“He (Richard) was the one if something is needed to be done, he would always start it. He would say let us do this, and get it done, ” Roshan said. He said Richard cared for his family and worked hard to provide for them.
“I don’t know the why of it and why God called him. But it is hard to say goodbye,” he said.
He recalled memories of taking care of Richard when he was a baby. “He touched my life and I know he touched many lives,” he said.
Richard and another man, Joseph Galiaram, 26 were renovating the top floor of a three storey building located at 4 Hosein Street, El Socorro when a ladder on which they were standing slipped and came into contact with nearby electrical wires.
Surviving the tragedy was Richard’s brother, Ricardo, who was hospitalised overnight and discharged yesterday.
Pastor Sankey Rangai officiated at the funeral service. Richard was buried at the Chaguanas Public Cemetery.