DANA MURDER PLOT
By Nalinee Seelal Thursday, June 26 2014
The Dana Seetahal murder investigation reached a critical high point yesterday with the revelation that two men — one of them a witness to the killing — coming forward to provide details of the plot and the actual assassination of the prominent attorney.
In fact, Newsday has been told by highly credible sources the statements that were given by the two men to a special team of investigators, and which were recorded, will enable police to bring closure quite soon to the probe which is already 53 days old. A $3.5 million reward has been posted for information from anyone which could lead to an arrest and conviction in the matter.
The two witnesses, one of them from Tobago and the other associated with a Trinidad-based religious organisation, are said to have provided investigators with a clear picture of why Seetahal was assassinated, who ordered the hit, who executed the killing and how many persons were involved.
Sources confirmed to Newsday yesterday that the two men decided to come forward and assist the police because they felt that their lives are now in danger. Newsday also sought to ascertain if the two men who are now providing the information are in protective custody but it has been confirmed that they have opted to not seek any protection.
Newsday was told that one of the men went as far as confessing to the officers that he was actually present when Seetahal was murdered, but he is reported to have said that he was not the shooter. The other indicated to investigators that while he was not on the scene on the night of the killing, he was privy to the plot to execute the Senior Counsel.
According to well-placed sources, the shooter in Seetahal’s killing is not in hiding but is under constant surveillance by law enforcement officers.
Newsday reported exclusively last week that the United States Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) are in the process of cleaning up video footage capturing the killing. Crime investigation officers of the United Kingdom are also assisting local authorities in their efforts to solve the murder. Minister of National Security Gary Griffith has already stated that the police have no problem using foreign assistance to bring closure to this investigation.
Most of the investigations is said to have already been completed, and Newsday has been reliably informed that when the processed video footage is delivered to ACP Wayne Dick at least seven persons are to be detained in connection with the high profile murder.
Seetahal was driving her vehicle along Hamilton Holder Street in Woodbrook, Port-of-Spain, after midnight on May 4 following a casino night out when she was attacked and killed. Her vehicle was sandwiched between a panel van and a Wingroad wagon. A gunman is said to have alighted from one of the vehicles and fired four shots which ended the Senior Counsel’s life. Late yesterday sources revealed to Newsday that Seetahal’s killing had no international connection.