|3-day-old son choked on vomit |
By Stacy Moore Friday, June 27 2014
click on pic to zoom in
Akeilon Glasgow ...
AN autopsy performed yesterday at the San Fernando General Hospital Mortuary has revealed three-day-old baby Akeilon Glasgow died as a result of asphyxia.
Baby Akeilon died on Monday after he was sent home from the Point Fortin Health Centre with his mother Nekisha Henry who took him there when his skin began to turn yellow.
The autopsy showed that the infant died from consolidation of the left lung and asphyxia secondary to aspiration.
Baby Akeilon was born at Point Fortin Area Hospital shortly after midnight on Saturday. He was the first child for Henry, 26, and her husband Akeil Glasgow, 33.
On Monday, Glasgow said, the baby’s arms and chest began turning yellow and he and Henry became worried. Even worse, the baby become irritable and began refusing his mother’s breast milk. They took him to the health centre where Henry was given formula to feed baby Akeilon as he was refusing to suckle. The couple left the health centre and returned to their home at Sixth Street, Techier Village, Pt Fortin.
Henry prepared the milk and fed Akeilon and ensured he burped before putting him in the crib to sleep, Glasgow said. Two hours later, the baby was unresponsive.
Yesterday Glasgow said he and his wife were trying to cope with the death of their son. He said the pathologist explained to him that his son choked on his vomit which led to his death.
“Right now we are trying to cope with our baby death and it is very sad that...we have to bury our son,” the emotional father said.
Baby Akeilon will be laid to rest today following a funeral service at Elite Funeral Home in Newlands, Point Fortin. Point Fortin Police officers are continuing investigations.
Akeilon is the latest case of a child under age 12 dying in tragic and sudden circumstances. Newsday’s records show 20 children have died in the past six months.