|Boy, 12, suffered burnt toes, after being shocked |
Saturday, August 23 2014
click on pic to zoom in
SHOCKED TO BED: Nyme Andrews, 12, of Rousillac Village, was reportedly resting comfortably at home following his stay at the Southern Medical Centre, ...
TWELVE-year-old Nyme Andrews, who was shocked by electricity at his home last Saturday is now resting comfortably at home in Rousillac.
Andrews who had been warded at Southern Medical Centre was discharged on Wednesday.
The Standard Five pupil of La Brea RC primary suffered minor burns to the toes on his left foot.
His mother, Naila Stephen was also shocked when she rushed to her son’s assistance.
The incident occurred about 12.30 pm last Saturday when family members were engaged in doing household chores. Nyme attempted to hang a wet rug on the railings around the gallery of the house.
Nyme was rushed to the medical centre by a crew from the Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (TTEC), who arrived on the scene.
In a media release yesterday, TTEC stated that a piece of wire installed by the Telecommunication Services of Trinidad and Tobago (TSTT) on a pole to safeguard its telephone wires, came into contact with one of TTEC’S low voltage lines. Stephen said a few months ago, there was a vehicular accident near to her home and the tyre from a truck struck the pole which is in front of her house.
It is believed that the impact caused the pole to crack which caused TSTT’s wire to make contact with the TTEC low voltage line, and the ground line.
Yesterday Nyme’s grandmother, Gemma Stephen, said that her grandson had to revisit the Medical Centre soon. She said he (Nyme) was having problems eating. Gemma was also unsure if Nyme would attend classes at the start of the school term. Both TTEC and TSTT officials are investigating.