|Government honours $million payout |
NALINEE SEELAL Tuesday, April 18 2017
THE promise by Government to honour a commitment to pay $1 million to dependents of officers killed in the line of duty is being kept. At least one family has already received the payout from the Ministry of National Security.
Yesterday National Security Minister Edmund Dillon said seven families, including those of five police officers and two prison officers, have already qualified for the payment.
Further payments will be made as soon as the relevant documents are processed.
Cabinet took the decision last year to begin payment starting from the day police constable Sherman Maynard was killed.
On July 24, 2015, Maynard was shot dead while on duty outside the Port of Spain prison on Frederick Street when three prisoners escaped. The commitment to pay the money was made by the former People’s Partnership government under prime minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar. However, up until that government demitted office later that year, no policy was in place to make any payment.
Yesterday president of the Police Social and Welfare Association Inspector Michael Seales said he and the executive were heartened to learn of this first payout.
“We are elated,” he said.
“This is the first move in ensuring that the process is continued smoothly and we are hoping that the relatives of other slain officers will also be compensated in swift time. I want to thank the former administration for agreeing with this initiative and for the current administration for following through.” He said this move will definitely boost morale and will assist in pushing officers to further re-dedicate themselves to the service because they would be mindful that should they fall in the line of duty, their families will not be left unprotected.