Newsday Logo
Banner
spacer
Friday, June 23 2017
spacer

Latest

spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer

Entertainment

spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer

Opinion

spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer

Newsday Archives

spacer

Classifieds

Business (8)
Employment (121)
Motor (92)
Real Estate (170)
Computers (4)
Notices (15)
Personal (40)
Miscellaneous (25)
Second-hand stuff (1)
Bridal (38)
Tobago (83)
Tuition (48)

Newsletter

Every day fresh news


A d v e r t i s e m e n t


spacer
Search for:
spacer

A d v e r t i s e m e n t

Banner



Camps not sending report to FIFA

By Stephon Nicholas Wednesday, July 27 2011

click on pic to zoom in

OLIVER CAMPS, president of Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF), will not be utilising the 48-hour grace period provided by FIFA for Caribbean Football Union (CFU) heads to give their “truthful and complete” versions of the event of the infamous May 10-11 meeting in Trinidad.

With FIFA banning former Asian football president Mohamed bin Hammam for life for allegedly giving US$40,000 bribes to several CFU officials as cash for votes to support his abandoned presidential campaign, the spotlight has now been turned to those who FIFA believe received bribes.

On Monday, football’s governing body sent letters giving the attendees of the controversial conference until today to explain what happened or face possible life bans from football.

“Following this 48-hour period, the ethics committee will be asked to open the necessary ethics proceedings,” FIFA said.

“Any person who has relevant information but does not come forward during this 48-hour period will be subject to the full range of sanctions. Truthful and complete reporting will be considered in mitigation by the ethics committee when deciding on potential sanctions.”

But speaking to Newsday yesterday, Camps stated emphatically that he did not need any last chance to tell the truth since he did so in Miami about a month ago.

“I already went to Miami and gave my evidence almost a month ago. I don’t have to (send any more reports),” he said.

The TTFF boss reiterated his statement made on June 9 earlier this year that neither him nor his delegates received bribes from bin Hammam even though the Qatari has been found guilty by the FIFA ethics committee.

In a media release on June 9, Camps declared, “the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation...wishes to explicitly state that none of its delegates were offered any inducements, bribes or gifts to supports any of the candidates during the meeting.” Yesterday he did not waiver from his earlier statement.

“I spoke the truth then and I stand by it,” he said.

Camps was reluctant, however, to give his opinion on whether bin Hammam’s punishment was justified.

“I have no comment on that. He knew what he did do and what he did not do. If he wants to, he can appeal,” he added.

Camps, although previously declaring his organisation’s refusal to participate in a “witch-hunt” by the “whims and fancies of those who want to destroy the name of our great Confederation”, yesterday backtracked and declared his support for FIFA’s due process.

“I’m not too sure it’s any witch-hunt. They are doing their investigations. FIFA are trying to keep things above board,” he explained.





spacer
    Print print
spacer
spacer

A d v e r t i s e m e n t

Banner

Top stories

 • Struggling Windies face India today
 • COOKS BOILING MAD
 • Chin tops Victory Heights MTB Challenge
 • Moves to tackle PS staff shortage
 • Miss World TT talent contest tonight
 • No new storm brewing

Pictures & Galleries


spacer
spacer
spacer

The Ch@t Room

Have something to say ?
Click here to tell us right now!

RSS

rss feed

Crisis Hotline

Have a problem ?
Help is just phone call away.

spacer
Copyright © Daily News Limited | About us | Privacy | Contact
spacer

IPS Software by Agile Telecom Ltd


Creation time: 0.163 sek.