|Emrit: What more to make a WI team? |
By STEPHON NICHOLAS Friday, February 21 2014
click on pic to zoom in
Wavell Hinds, president of the West Indies Players Association (WIPA), left, presents Trinidad and Tobago's Rayad Emrit with a trophy for taking the m...
NATIONAL allrounder, Rayad Emrit, is unsure what else he must do to earn a call-up to the West Indies team. Emrit was a notable omission on the squad announced by the Windies selectors recently for a T20 and one-day home series against Ireland as well as the T20 team for the World T20 Championships next month in Bangladesh.
The 32-year-old, though, has been in the best bowling form of his life in the past year, finishing as the second best pacer at the inaugural Caribbean Premier League last year with ten wickets from eight matches with the Barbados Tridents.
He bettered that performance in the recently concluded Nagico Super50 where he won the award for Most Wickets (ten) as he helped Trinidad and Tobago reach the final.
Emrit, who made his ODI debut in January 27, 2007, and played his last match for the Windies four days later, has found it extremely difficult to get another chance in maroon colours.
The inexperienced Jamaican Sheldon Cotterell has earned a surprise call-up for the World T20 despite inferior T20 stats to Emrit while Bajan pacer Miguel Cummins, who was not even selected by his country for the Nagico Super50, has gotten the nod for the ODI series against Ireland.
“Yeah it’s disappointing because I’ve done well in the tournaments they say that are worthy of selection.
“I guess the selectors have the guys they are looking at but hopefully I will continue to work hard and open the eyes of the right people,” he said.
Asked if being a Trinidadian may be working against him as there are already quite a number of Trinis in the Windies squad, Emrit said “I would hope not.
“It really is disappointing to do so well because I’ve been really working hard at my batting and bowling.
I have to find out (what else I have to do to earn selection) and when I find out I would let you know,” he said.
The Merry Boys player noted though that he is not going to let the snub by the selectors weigh on him too much and is keen to continue his good form in the 2014 regional four-day season.
“Yes I’m disappointed but cricket must go on. I have the First–Class season to look forward to and I am not going to let that affect the way I play,” he declared confidently.
And he has already set his targets for the remainder of the season with the Red Force where he is expected to play a crucial role in trying to get them back into the finals.
“Last year I got the most wickets for TT alongside Imran Khan and hopefully I can repeat that.
“I also want to do better with the bat but I’m not going to get ahead of myself and just take it one game at a time,” he continued.
He expressed thanks to God and the national fitness trainers including Oba Gulston and Jason for their work in helping him rehabilitate fully from a shoulder injury picked up at the T20 Champions League in India last year.