|Bravo, Pooran cleared to play in IPL |
Saturday, March 4 2017
Exiled West Indies batsman Darren Bravo will be heading to India to play for the Kolkata Knight Riders for the 2017 Indian Premier League (IPL) after his No Objection Certificate (NOC) was signed by West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) CEO Johnny Grave.
In a newspaper report recently (not Newsday), it was stated that Bravo might not be granted the required NOC due to his currently unsettled dispute with the WICB.
Bravo is currently deemed ineligible to play cricket for the West Indies or Trinidad and Tobago after calling on WICB president Dave Cameron to resign on social media. The lefthander also labelled the controversial Jamaican cricket boss a “big idiot” in an uncharacteristic outburst which followed Cameron’s assertion on Sportsmax TV that Bravo had been offered a ‘C’ retainer contract by the WICB because he was on an ‘A’ previously and not performing to that standard. Bravo said he was never on a WICB ‘A’ contract.
In an interview with ESPNcricinfo yesterday, Grave explained that Bravo’s NOC was signed “within five minutes of receiving it.” He added: “We’re not going to be withholding NOCs. There’s no future in that.” Meanwhile, wicketkeeper/ batsman Nicholas Pooran’s NOC has also been signed.
Pooran has been banned by the WICB from all cricket regionally for the year after reneging on his agreement to play for the Leeward Islands Hurricanes in the current regional fourday season and instead taking up a contract to compete in last year’s Bangladesh Premier League.
The 21-year-old Pooran was bought in the IPL auction by Mumbai Indians. WICB Chairman of Selectors, Courtney Browne, in a recent interview on Sportsmax TV, said Pooran’s NOC was signed with no problems.